Thursday, July 15, 2010

Learning Studio Lighting, Part I



I had my absolute first portrait shoot today! My father and I have assembled a very modest but capable studio setup consisting of my (now lightstand mounted) Nikon Speedlight SB-800, which we either bounce off of or shoot through a studio umbrella, a reversible silver and white reflector panel, a white background cloth and a black background cloth. The quality of light changes dramatically depending on what strobe angle you employ. Think of the model's position as a clock face: twelve o'clock is directly in front of the model, assuming no crazy poses. The result is about the same as on-camera flash, creating flattened features with little dimensionality. Conversely, position the flash at three o'clock, and the effect is quite dramatic. I was very fortunate to shoot Mrs. Marissa Rose Ladd today, a dynamic model with a good deal of previous experience. She has the ability to project a whole array of emotions and attitudes, from the sweet girl next door, to a Long Island killer.

The topmost photo was taken with a shoot-through umbrella almost head on to the model.

Here are three more shots from this evening, with the lighting described:


Strobe shot through umbrella positioned at the model's 3 o'clock, with no reflector


Strobe bounced against silver umbrella interior, at around 2 o'clock position. White reflector positioned to model's 2 o'clock



Strobe shot through umbrella positioned at model's 1:30 (ish). Silver reflector positioned at 9:30, very close to the face.


The evening was a fantastic learning experience. Marissa was infinitely patient with my camera tomfoolery, and even offered up a ton of pointers and suggestions. I believe without her input these shots would have ended up like drivers license photos. I hope to keep up my education in the studio realm. We need more lights!

No comments:

Post a Comment