Wednesday, June 23, 2010


Chicago artist Molly Carlson is doing her part in the relief efforts associated with the Deepwater Horizon (BP) oil spill. She is making available, for a very modest donation, archival quality prints of her latest watercolor series. 100% of the donation money goes to the relief effort, and you may direct your money to the organization of your choice. A spare 25 bucks will go a long way. Read more about it at the link below, and be sure to check out the awesome high speed video of her completing the Brown Pelican profile shown above:

http://www.emersonstreetcreative.com/


From the Artist:

As most of you are, I am deeply saddened and disgusted by what has become the greatest ecological disaster in my lifetime. I sat at home watching the news, and tearing up at the birds covered in oil…the fishermen who livelihoods are destroyed and wondering, what can I do? Should I quit my job and go scrub oil off the rocks? I felt helpless and worthless in my apartment in Chicago, so far away. I didn’t want to feel helpless, but also figured completely dumping my responsibilities to go to the Gulf might not be the best idea.

So here’s the deal and I am asking for your help! I decided I would do what I am good at, and hopefully this is the best way I can help the situation. I’m going to paint the creatures being affected by the oil spill and put them up for sale. 100% of the profits of the sale I will donate to the following organizations:

  • The Greater New Orleans Foundation’s Gulf Coast Oil Spill Fund
  • Our Gulf Waterkeepers
  • National Audubon Society

If you would like to specify which organization your donation goes to, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll do a weekly donation and split the money between the three groups evenly.

The Artwork:

I am producing limited edition prints of watercolors I have created for this project. Animals are near to my heart, so I am choosing them to be center focus. The prints will be made on Kodak Professional Supra Endura VC Digital Paper, which is archival quality, lasting up to 100 years in the home, and 200 years in dark storage.

Each print will be signed, with an edition number, certificate of authenticity and statement of where your donation went. At this time I cannot offer tax-reciepts, but if you would like to donate directly to the charities – their information is below.

If you or someone you know are looking for a piece of artwork and want to support a good cause, now is your chance! Please spread the word around to as many people as you can. I’m also open to suggestions for what animals to paint next (although I’d like to limit it to Gulf species)!

Love,

Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment